The Oyo State Chapter of the National Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE) has announced a stay-at -home order to its members following the protracted crisis rocking local government administration in the state.
This is coming as the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, has directed the Commissioner of Police in Oyo state, Shina Olukolu, to take actions to implement the legal opinion of the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) on the sacked local government chairmen in the state.
The IG in a letter addressed to Ayodeji Abass-Aleshiloye, Chairman of the dissolved Association of Local Government of Nigeria (ALGON), urged the sacked ALGON Chairman to liaise with the CP to facilitate smooth take-over of the Local Government Areas in the state.
The IG’s letter was signed by the Principal Staff Officer to the Inspector General of Police, DCP Idowu Owohunwa.
The letter entitled “Re: Federal Government Order to Governor Seyi Makinde to Reverse Sack of Local Government/ Local Council Development Areas Chairmen in Oyo State- Result for Police Protection” is dated 23rd January 2020.
The directive takes effect from January 27, 2020 and affects all NULGE members in the local governments and local council development areas across the state.
In a resolution signed by State Secretary of the union, Chucks M. Nwankwo, dated 25 January, 2020 and made available to newsmen in Ibadan after an emergency meeting of the State Executive Committee (SEC) of NULGE stated that the decision became imperative following the posturing of Alesinloye Abass, directing dissolved members of ALGON to return to the local governments as duly elected chairmen of councils despite their sack and the appointment of 68 caretaker chairmen by the Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde.
The NULGE leadership, in the resolution read to newsmen after the emergency SEC and State Administrative Council (SAC) meeting held at its State Secretariat, directed all NULGE members in all the 33 local governments and 35 Local Council Development Areas to stay away from work until the issue of local government leadership is resolved.
The NULGE leadership explained that it took the position to prevent its members from becoming victims of violence and uncertainties in the coming days.
The body, rising from an emergency meeting on Saturday, hinged its directive on the rising tension and state of uncertainty in the State, noting that its members should stay at home to avoid being caught up in the tension and impending crisis that could follow attempts to take over the local governments by the dissolved local government chairmen.
“This is to bring to the notice of our members i.e. workers in the Local Government Service of Oyo State, the decision of an emergency State Executive Council (SEC) meeting held today, 25 January 2020 on the unfolding leadership feud in the local governments of Oyo State.
“Arising from the meeting, Local Government workers are hereby directed to stay away from work, effective from Monday January 27, 2020 until further notice. All offices and adjoining entrances should be under lock and key.
“Our decision is to foster peace and the assurance of safety and security in the workplace. This step is in the interest of our members as well as that of the general public and the good people of Oyo State.”
Speaking with journalists after the meeting, NULGE president, Oyo State chapter, Bayo Titilola-Sodo, said the decision that local government workers should stay at home was in the interest of their members and for their safety.
He said: “We reviewed the situation on ground as it unfolded so far and the probable outcomes of the various grandstanding from the various quarters.
“We believed that it is in the best interest of our members to stay away from work before they turn our offices to a battle ground.
“The situation as it concerns us is that we are also getting the news from the media and social media where sometimes letters are published and we don’t know their authenticity.
“But we have reasons to be apprehensive about the security of our members should they go to work and have these people taking on one another.
“In fact, we have had a few cases some months ago when one party decided to go to the office relying on one authority or the other while another party was still occupying same office. And this caused altercations, as some of our people were beaten.
“So, today, we held a meeting in order to safeguard the lives and security of our people and tell them to stay away from all the offices until the weather is clearer, and we know exactly who we are working with.”
Titilola-Sodo added that the decision would give NULGE the opportunity to see the parties involved resolved the matter between themselves, saying only a positive resolution could make their members return to work.
According to him, until our security is guaranteed in our places of work, no member of NULGE in Oyo State will be at their place of work by Monday morning until further notice. This will be until the unclear situation is cleared, until our security and safety are guaranteed in our places of work.
via WordPress https://ift.tt/30U1uAY
Human rights lawyer , Mr Inibehe Effiong, says the Department of State Services has arrested his client who is also a campus journalist , Ayoola Babalola, for allegedly publishing articles critical of the President, Maj. Gen Muhammadu Buhari ( retd. ) , and All Progressives Congress chieftain , Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.
Effiong made the allegation during a chat with
He explained that Babalola , a student of Mass Communications at Gateway Polytechnic , Abeokuta , was the editor of a campus newspaper known as “ GAMPOSA Trumpet”.
In the 2019 edition of the newspaper in November 2019, the newspaper published an article titled , “President Buhari does not believe in Nigeria ” which was written by Apostle Alfred Tseye- Okotie .
In the article , it was stated that the Buhari regime did not want Nigeria to be good .
In a third article written by Femi Adeyeye in October 2019 titled , “Sowore , An Equal Opportunity Offender” , the newspaper wrote glowingly of Sahara Reporters Publisher , Omoyele Sowore , who was at the time being detained by the DSS for allegedly planning a revolution against the government.
In a statement later , Effiong said, “Late on Friday , January 24 , 2020, I was alerted that my client Mr Ayoola Babalola , a courageous student activist and young journalist, was arrested and charged to court for allegedly publishing certain articles in a Campus Newspaper called GAPOSA Trumpet in which he served as the editor .
“Babalola recently graduated from the Gateway Polytechnic located in Sapaade , Ogun State, where he read Mass Communications.
“The articles which were deemed critical of President Buhari , APC Leader , Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the EFCC also led to the dismissal of a lecturer of Gateway Polytechnic who served as the producer of the campus newspaper .”
Effiong alleged that Babalola was arrested on Thursday in Abeokuta by the DSS and taken before a Magistrate Court on Friday.
“His appeal to the DSS for him to be allowed to contact me as his counsel was rebuffed . Mr Babalola was only able to contact me through a third party from the Ibara Maximum Prison in Abeokua where he was remanded by the court , ” the lawyer said.
He said Babalola was arraigned on six counts bordering on alleged incitement , conduct likely to cause a breach of the peace and others for allegedly publishing critical articles against President Buhari .
It was stated that Babalola had informed his lawyers of the plans of the DSS to arrest him even before the actual arrest happened.
The Spokesman for the DSS , Peter Afunaya, neither responded to calls nor a text message on Saturday .
“I condemn this despotic and needless actions by the SSS . It is a shame that at a time the country is battling serious security challenges , the DSS rather than protect Nigeria , is paranoid about any form of criticism against the Buhari regime , ” Effiong said.
The post DSS Arrests Ayoola Babalola Over Anti-Buhari Articles appeared first on NaijaMusik.
via WordPress https://ift.tt/30VNYwB
Anthony Joshua has said he expects British heavyweight rival, Tyson Fury, to beat Deontay Wilder in their much-anticipated rematch in Las Vegas. Fury and Wilder will step back into the ring on February 22. Both men will be hoping to clinch victory,…
>>> Read on Here
The post Fury vs Wilder rematch: Anthony Joshua predicts winner appeared first on NaijaMusik.
via WordPress https://ift.tt/2Gp6Z19
Manchester United may consider sacking manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, if results do not improve at the Old Trafford this season, the Daily Mail reports. England boss, Gareth Southgate, has now emerged as a leading contender to take over after Euro…
>>> Read on Here
The post FA Cup: Man Utd set condition to sack Solskjaer, identify replacement appeared first on NaijaMusik.
via WordPress https://ift.tt/30Tq9Wt
Barcelona manager, Quique Setién has singled out midfielder, Frenkie De Jong for criticism following the Holland international’s display in his side’s La Liga 2-0 defeat to Valencia on Saturday. Setién believes the former Ajax star has been playing…
>>> Read on Here
The post LaLiga: What Setién said about De Jong after Barcelona’s 2-0 defeat to Valencia appeared first on NaijaMusik.
via WordPress https://ift.tt/38DBNas
A 26-year-old woman identified as Titilayo Akinsola, reportedly died of Lassa fever on Saturday January 25 at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) in Idi-Aba community of Abeokuta, Ogun State's capital. The hospital's spokesperson, Segun Orisajo who confirmed the death told newsmen that series of tests showed the deceased had Lassa fever. He also disclosed that they did everything possible to save her life. Orisajo said; “She (the victim) was rushed to the hospital four days ago and series of tests confirmed that she had Lassa fever. Our medical team did everything possible to save her life but unfortunately she died." Orisajo allayed fears of members of the public by stating that they are working with the state government to contain the spread of the disease. Ogun State's Commissioner for Health, Dr Tomi Coker has also confirmed the development. The post 26-year-old woman dies of Lassa Fever in Ogun appeared first on Linda Ikeji Blog.
via Blogger 26-year-old woman dies of Lassa Fever in Ogun
Beyonce and Jay-Z strike playful poses at the annual Roc Nation pre-Grammy brunch in Los Angeles (Photos)
Power couple, Beyonce and Jay-Z were stylishly suit-up for the Roc Nation Pre-Grammy Brunch in Los Angeles on Saturday. Before they kicked off the star-studded event, the proud parents of three posed for a slew of playful and sultry photos. For the pre-Grammy Brunch, Beyonce showed off her toned and curvaceous figure in a grey bodycon dress, she rocked with heels. While her husband, rapper Jay-Z donned a satin pink suit and a black pair of shoes. The highly-anticipated 62nd Grammy Awards ceremony will take place at the Staples Center on Sunday evening. See more photos below. The post Beyonce and Jay-Z strike playful poses at the annual Roc Nation pre-Grammy brunch in Los Angeles (Photos) appeared first on Linda Ikeji Blog.
via Blogger Beyonce and Jay-Z strike playful poses at the annual Roc Nation pre-Grammy brunch in Los Angeles (Photos)
Simi Esiri confirms the end of her marriage to singer Dr Sid reacts to report she was violent towards him..
Simi Esimi, the estranged wife of singer, Dr sid, has confirmed the end of their marriage. In a statement released this morning, Simi confirmed they are heading for a divorce and moving forward as co-parents. The estranged couple got married in August 2014. In her statement, Simi reacted to reports she that was violent towards Dr Sid in their marriage and that she has stopped him from seeing their two daughters, Sydney and Sarah. Simi says this is not true. Read her statement below The post Simi Esiri confirms the end of her marriage to singer Dr Sid, reacts to report she was violent towards him.. appeared first on Linda Ikeji Blog.
via Blogger Simi Esiri confirms the end of her marriage to singer Dr Sid, reacts to report she was violent towards him..
Former Huddersfield football star, Jordan Sinnott, has died after being assaulted in Nottinghamshire in the early hours of Saturday January 25. The English midfielder suffered a fractured skull in the attack in Retford, Notts. Police said the 25-year-old, who is on loan at Matlock Town from Alfreton Town, was found unconscious at around 2am on Saturday morning in Retford, Nottinghamshire. Sinnott received treatment at the scene and was rushed to a hospital where he was treated for his life-threatening injuries. He later died. Police were called to the Dominie Cross pub in Retford following a report that up to eight people had been involved in a disturbance in the car park just after 11:25pm on Friday. A 27-year-old man has been arrested and remains in police custody. Detectives are continuing their enquiries into both incidents. Matlock and Alfreton called off their matches this weekend, citing "tragic and unforeseen consequences". His club, Alfreton Town FC and his on-loan side, Matlock Town FC, have now released statements saying that he has died at around 7pm. In a statement on their website, Alfreton Town said: "We are saddened and heartbroken to report that Jordan passed away just before 7pm this evening. "His family and friends were with him at his bedside and we send our sincere condolences to them all at this very sad time. "Jordan was a model footballer and an exceptional talent during his time at the Impact Arena and had a close affinity with both the manager, assistant and the players he took the field with. "The club would ask for privacy to be respected to all at the Reds and to Jordan’s family and friends during this delicate time. "Rest easy Sinbad, we will never forget you." Matlock Town FC has also confirmed the death, saying: "We are very sorry to report that Jordan Sinnott has passed away just before 7pm this evening. "His family and friends were with him at his bedside and we send our sincere condolences to them all at this very sad time."The post FootballerJordan Sinnott dies after 'being assaulted' hours before match appeared first on Linda Ikeji Blog.
via Blogger FootballerJordan Sinnott dies after 'being assaulted' hours before match
We don't have human rights in Nigeria - Army officer tells UK-based Nigerian businessman he dehumanized
A UK-based Nigerian businessman who visited Nigeria for his brother's traditional wedding in December, has recounted how he was dehumanized by some military officers. According to the distraught man, they were stopped and tortured for no reason by four soldiers attached to Battalion 144 of the Nigeria Army at Osisioma area of Abia State. An Army Captain who led the torture reportedly told him that he will be be deported from the foreign country he is based in when he is done with the act. The Captain reportedly boasted about his brother being the Chief of Air Staff and further stated that in Nigeria there is no human right unlike other countries. @DexyUK narrated the heart-breaking experience on Instagram and he also revealed that they were freed by the soldiers who accused them of being kidnappers after paying N50k. He wrote; He also shared photos of the disgusting spot they were thrown into. Here are the photos below; The post We don't have human rights in Nigeria - Army officer tells UK-based Nigerian businessman he dehumanized appeared first on Linda Ikeji Blog.
via Blogger We don't have human rights in Nigeria - Army officer tells UK-based Nigerian businessman he dehumanized
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.